First Aid for Mental Health
Who should attend the course?
NUCO First Aid for Mental Health is an internationally recognised training course, designed to teach people how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis.
Adult First Aid for Mental Health courses can be attended by people aged 16 upwards and are relevant for the general population. Everyone on an Adult First Aid for Mental Health course is taught a set of skills which enables them to support someone experiencing mental health issues.
Each and every NUCO First Aid for Mental Health course is delivered by a quality assured NUCO instructor, who has attended an instructor training programme accredited by NUCO.
First Aiders for Mental Health have:
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect well being
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support
What does this course cover?
Our 1 day NUCO First Aid for Mental Health Training Course covers the following syllabus:
What is First aid for Mental Health? Identifying mental health conditions. Providing advice and starting conversations. Drugs and alcohol. First Aid for Mental Health action plan. First Aid for Mental Health in the workplace.
Everyone who attends the course will receive a copy of the First Aid for Mental Health NUCO manual and workbook, which are both excellent support resources.
When you have completed the course you will also receive a certificate to confirm that you are a trained NUCO First Aider for Mental Health.
Benefits of attending this course
The course will:
- Give a deeper understanding of the issues that impact on and relate to people’s mental health
- Teach practical skills that can be used every day, including being able to spot the signs and symptoms of mental health issues and feel confident guiding people towards appropriate support
Independent research and evaluation shows that taking part in an First Aid for Mental Health course:
- Raises awareness and mental health literacy
- Reduces stigma around mental ill health and feel confident guiding people towards appropriate support
- Boosts knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues
- Encourages people to start a conversation with a person who may be experiencing a mental health issue
- Promotes early intervention which enables recovery
How to find us
From M25- exit at J12 (M3), follow M3 South until is splits into M27 East/ West and follow the M27 Westbound until Junction 3. Turn left at the roundabout and join the M271. At the end of the road, take the 1st exit on the roundabout to join the A33 Millbrook Road West. Move into the middle lane and continue over Redbridge Flyover. Once over, move into the inside lane. You will continue through a set of crossroads with traffic lights. After approx. 300 yards you will see a slip road for the Solent Business Centre, directly after the TA. Turn into this road, and carry along, past Sparshatts until you reach a blue building. The car park is through gates on your left at the side of the blue building.