Safety Schemes in Procurement (SSIP) accreditations are invaluable for demonstrating your business’s commitment to maintaining high health and safety standards.
Such accreditation can enhance your reputation and competitiveness in the procurement process.
But how do you secure SSIP accreditation, such as SMAS, CHAS, and others? This article will guide you through the process.
Understanding SSIP Accreditation
SSIP is an umbrella organisation that brings together numerous assessment schemes related to health and safety, including SMAS and CHAS, among others.
SSIP aims to standardise health and safety prequalification and reduce duplication in the procurement process. Achieving SSIP accreditation means your business meets the core health and safety competence criteria recognised by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
Steps to achieve SSIP Accreditation
- Review the core criteria: The first step is to familiarise yourself with the SSIP core criteria, which detail your business’s health and safety standards. This includes health and safety policy, risk assessment procedures, and evidence of competence.
- Self-assessment: Once you understand the criteria, conduct a self-assessment to identify where your business stands and where improvements may be needed.
- Implement improvements: Based on the self-assessment, develop and implement an action plan to address gaps in meeting the core criteria.
- Choose an SSIP scheme member: Choose an SSIP member scheme for your business, such as SMAS or CHAS. Each scheme has its own application process and cost structure.
- Prepare and submit the application: Ensure you provide all necessary documentation to prove your compliance with the SSIP core criteria. Once your application is ready, submit it to your chosen scheme.
- Assessment and certification: Your chosen scheme will assess your application and, if successful, will issue your SSIP accreditation.
Leveraging HCS safety membership for SSIP Accreditation
HCS Safety can help your business achieve SSIP accreditations. Engaging with our health and safety membership services can effectively prepare you for achieving such accreditations.
Our membership services provide invaluable support in establishing and maintaining high standards of health and safety, which align closely with the SSIP core criteria.
By being a member and actively engaging with us, you would be well on your way to demonstrating the competence and commitment required for SSIP accreditation.
Our experienced health and safety consultants can provide tailored guidance and support to help you navigate the complexities of health and safety regulations and best practices.
Contact us to discuss our health and safety membership services and start your path to demonstrating superior health and safety competence.